As Britain's first seaside resort, Scarborough led the way in supplying lodgings for visitors. During the 18th century the rich and famous visited Scarborough and their names were published in the local paper. Smuggled brandy and gambling along with the 'health giving' spa water and seabathing all added to the excitement of being away from home and by the sea.
The Grand Hotel was the largest in Europe when it was constructed in 1881. Built in a 'V' shape to honour Queen Victoria it had 365 rooms, one for every day of the year, 52 chimneys, one for every week of the year, 12 floors, one for every month of the year and 4 domes, for the four seasons of the year. It used 6 million bricks and 11 miles of carpet and had hot and cold fresh and salt water in every room.
For the less welathy visitors Scarborough had a number of 'lodging houses' in the Victorian period in which guests would rent rooms and purchase their own food ingredients and their hosts would prepare their meals.
Other famous hotels:
The Royal Hotel - hit by German shells during the 1914 bombardment.
The Pavilion Hotel - Opened in 1870 it was demolished in 1973 and replaced by the brutally ugly Pavilion House office block opposite the railway station.
Holbeck Hotel - fell into the sea in 1993
Crown Spa Hotel - The only 4 star grade 2 listed hotel. Opened in 1867 it has been in the Michelin guide for 100 years. It had many stables for horses & carriages at the rear.
Clifton Hotel - WW1 poet, Wilfred Owen, stayed there.
Prince of Wales - Opened in 1861 it housed RAF aircrew in WW2, now private appartments.
Bull Hotel - an old coaching inn