1620. Mrs. Farrow discovered that the water had medical properties.
1698. First cisterns for water built by the Corporation.
1700. First Spaw House built by Dickie Dickinson, the first Govenor.
1725. The staith of the Spaw washed away.
1736. Spa rebuilt and enlarged.
1737. Staith damaged by subsidence and springs lost.
1738. February 2nd springs rediscovered and staith repaired.
1739. Spaw House rebuilt.
1808. Spaw House damaged by storm. Rebuilding of Spaw.
1825. Spaw severely damaged by very high tide and nearly washed away.
1826. The Cliff Bridge Company was formed by 26 pioneers who met at the
“George” in York, and at the same time appointed Mr. Cuthbert as
Engineer at a salary of £200 for the erection of the bridge.
Meeting was held November 1st, 1926.
Until now the waters were retained and sold by the Corporation
but this year the Spaw was taken over by the Cliff Bridge Company.
“W” omitted from “Spaw” for the first time..
First lease of Spa superseded by one dated 1st January, 1837.
1827. Cliff Bridge opened on July 19th.
1836. House and Spa again destroyed by violent storm.
1837. Building commenced on Gothic Saloon (Plans prepared by Henry Wyatt.
1839. Gothic Saloon opened August 20th.
1845. Saloon improved and enlarged.
1856. Sir Joseph Paxton consulted, and survey of Spa carried out by him.
1857. Work started on transformation and addition, according to his plan.
1858. New Spa Hall opened on July 20th.
1857/8. Prospect Tower added.
1861. Improvements made to Spa Gardens.
1871. Freehold of 8 acres of land south of Spa purchased.
1874. South Cliff Lift constructed. Opened July 6th. 1875.
1875. Wells sheltered by erection of Band Rotunda, and rehabilitation
of wells carried out.
1876. Grand Hall gutted by fire on September 8th.
1877. Present Spa building commenced October, 1877 inside the original
shell. Designer Thomas Verity, London.
1880. New Grand Hall (Present) Opened August 2nd, 1880 by
Sir Francis Wyatt Truscott, Lord Mayor of London, In State.
1881. First experimental lighting of Spa grounds with “Brush” system
1886. New Spa restaurant opened.
1887. Sunday Concerts began.
1894. Electric light first used in Theatre.
1904. Trams started running on Spa carriage road to town and back by Vernon Road.
1911. Extension south of Spa, land purchased November. £7,140.
1913. Building of new band stand- Marble forecourt-collonade and
Grand Hall Cafe.
1914. Grand Hall Cafe opened.
1915. South Bay swimming pool completed at cost of £5,000.
1920. Roof Garden added – Prospect Tower removed.
1924/25. Ballroom added.
1940/45. Last concert held 6th July, 1940, reopened 21st May, 1945.
1951. Cliff Bridge purchased by Corporation for £22,500. Freed of toll
1953. Pay Boxes town end of Spa Bridge removed in February.
1954. Glass screen erected around band stand (for ice show originally)
1955. New £2000 floor laid in ballroom and ballroom modernised and enlarged.
1956. The Spa purchased by the Corporation from the Cliff Bridge Company
1957. A concert was the last event held under the old administration on Oct. 26th.
1958. New Spa restaurant opened at cost of £10,000.
1960. Spa Ballroom reopened on April 16th after extensive alterations at cost
of £26,000. First season of Max Jaffa Concerts.
1963. Two domes on the sea side of the Spa were demolished and removed in
Grand Hall modernised, Balcony rebuilt and rest of hall reseated at cost
1965. February – Northern West Dome and stone surround demolished,
1967. Spa Ballroom altered with new intimate atmosphere.
1968. On the closing of the Olympia Ballroom the Corporation decided to
improve facilities at the Spa with the object of housing two separate
conferences simultaneously. Estimated cost£345,500 with first phase
to cost £57,500.
The Spa was operated by the Corporation 1698 to 1826.
By Cliff Bridge Company 1826 to 1957.
By the Corporation 1957 to date.
Research by Cyril Prescott.